Arabs Mentioned in Bible?|
Q. Are Arabs or Arab nations mentioned in the Bible? If so, where can I find them? Are they called "Arabs?" (J.M., Mt. Vernon, WA)
Psalm 83 is a Current News Report!
Not only are Arab nations and Arabs mentioned in many places, but Psalm 83:4 sounds like a direct quote from the current Iranian leader! Listen to this:
…"Come, and let us wipe them out as a nation, that the name of Israel be remembered no more" (NASB).
Doesn't that sound like the current Iranian leader's threat to "wipe Israel off the face of the map?"
List of Arab Nations
Modern day Arab nations in the Bible are mentioned by their ancient tribal names. That way it is easy for historians and archaeologists to identify current Islamic nations from tribal roots. Psalm 83:6-8 is a good place to start:
"The tents of Edom and the Ishmaelites, Moab and the Hagrites, Gebal and Ammon and Amalek, Philistia with the inhabitants of Tyre, Assyria also has joined with them - They have become a help to the children of Lot" (NASB).
The "tents of Edom and the Ishmaelites, Moab and the Hagrites, Gebal, Ammon, and Amalek" pretty much lists all of the Arabs surrounding Israel.
- Edom and the Ishmaelites are Arabs.
- Moab and the Hagrites live in Jordan.
- "Philistia" refers to those who later became residents of Gaza, primarily the Palestinians.
- The inhabitants of Tyre evolved into the Phoenicians who later became Lebanon.
-Assyria who has "joined with them and have helped the children of Lot" refers to Syria.
-The prophet Jonah's mission to Nineveh was in Assyria.
- Other passages mention Ethiopia which is Northeast Africa and Egypt.
- Libya is Northwest Africa which includes Libya, the Sudan and Nigeria.
- Isaiah 17 mentions Damascus in modern day Syria.
- Tubal (Tubalu) is Turkey.
- Magog consisted of the Scythians in Central Asia and Afghanistan.
- Rosh (Rashu, Ros, Rus) is thought to be Russia.
- Meshech (Mushki&Musku) is in modern day Turkey.
- Beth-togarmah is in Turkey.
- Gomer is also in Turkey.
- Put (or Phut) is Libya.
- Persia is modern day Iran (Daniel's angel fought against the Prince of Persia).
- Ethiopia (Cush) is Sudan.
- The Medes are equivalent to Iran, Iraq, and Turkey.
- Babylon is found in Iraq (It is even being rebuilt).
Most good study bibles list these nations which are found in several key areas of Scripture. You might want to make a separate list for your own benefit, however. I suggest that students write these in the margins of their bibles.
MacArthur Study Bible, NKJV. 1997. Nashville: Nelson.
Ryrie Study Bible, NASB. 1996. Chicago: Moody.
Zondervan Study Bible, KJV. 2002. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.