Just like Yeshua's?
Q. I've heard that at the "rapture" our bodies will change and be just like Jesus. What does that mean? Can you explain how we will be like Him?
Bodies by Yeshua
Have you ever wished you could lose 50 pounds, have a nose job, facelift, liposuction, have well-developed muscles and strength, be younger, and have a hair transplant?
Well, take heart. We will have the ultimate "extreme makeover" bodies in heaven! The Bible promises us new "Bodies by Yeshua."
Seriously, I don't mean to be flippant. In Philippians 3:20-21 and 1 John 3:2 we are told that our new heavenly bodies will be like Christ's.
In 1 Corinthians 15:51 we are told something interesting:
"But let me reveal to you a wonderful secret. We will not all die, but we will all be transformed! It will happen in a moment, in the blink (twinkling) of an eye, when the last trumpet is blown. For when the trumpet sounds, those who have died will be raised to live forever. And we who are living will also be transformed" (NLT).
Most translations say that we will be changed in the "twinkling" of an eye. Technically this is the quickest unit of time that we know.
In the twinkling of an eye Christians will be changed into powerful, eternal beings. Some of us will still be living on earth when this change occurs. What a fantastic day that will be!
Just like Him
There are at least two verses which inform us that our bodies will be transformed into bodies which share characteristics with Christ:
"But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body" (Phil. 3:20-21, ESV).
"…we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is" (1 Jn. 3:2, ESV).
5 Characteristics of Bodies like His
Here are 5 written ways our bodies will be like Yeshua's.
Beyond Physical Laws of Time&Space
1. We will not be subject to the normal laws of time and space. Jesus appeared or vanished in closed rooms, for example.
"And he vanished from their sight" (Luke 24:31). "The doors being locked…Jesus came and stood among them.." (Jn. 20:19). "Although the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them.." (Jn. 20:26).
Right now, we live in 3 and one-half dimensions, not really four as we were taught in science classes. They are height, width, depth, and a half dimension of time.
(Currently we can't move backward in time. We can only move forward. So we only live in 3 and one-half dimensions, not four).
But, it appears that we will be given new heavenly bodies that will operate in more than four dimensions.
For example, it appears that Christ moved in at least 11 dimensions in his resurrection body. These appeared as supernatural events to witnesses of Chris's resurrection. Physicist Hugh Ross calls it Christ's "hyper dimensional capabilities."
- For example, Yeshua could materialize and dematerialize while his body was tangible (called "flesh and bones"). In John 20:19, and 20:26-27, Jesus appeared to his disciples through locked doors.
- He floated through the air up into the clouds during His ascension (Luke 24:51).
- At His transfiguration, Yeshua was clothed in brilliant light as were Moses and Elijah who appeared with Him (Matthew 17).
- He foretold the future demonstrating His mastery over our earth time (Matthew 24, for example). All of these were metaphysical or supernatural events.
There may even be parallel universes. Yeshua may have hinted at this when He said, "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them" (Matthew 18:20).
2. Our bodies will be real and tangible like Christ's resurrection body. In Luke 24:39, Jesus said, "See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself. Touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have" (NASB).
Enjoying Culinary Delights
3. We will be able to enjoy food. On at least two occasions Yeshua ate with people in his resurrection body. He even cooked breakfast for His disciples after His resurrection. So, our resurrection bodies will still enjoy culinary pleasures. Who knows? Perhaps we will have digestive systems with no waste. (See Luke 24:41-43 and John 21:12-15).
Don't I Know You?
4. We will recognize each other and have spiritual bodies capable of identification by others. We will even recognize those whom we have never seen or met before. For example, we know that Jesus was recognized by his disciples (Luke 24:31).
In the Transfiguration, the disciples also recognized Moses and Elijah talking with him (Matt. 17:1-8). How did they know it was Moses and Elijah? They had never personally seen or met Moses and Elijah before. Moses and Elijah lived anywhere from 700 - 1500 years before the disciples were born. Yet, the disciples knew exactly who they were!
5. Our new bodies will be indestructible, not subject to disease, decay, aging, or death (1 Cor. 15:35-49). We will be bright and shining (Daniel 12:3). Matthew 13:43 says, "Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father" (ESV). At that time we will have bodies suitable to a new space age environment (1 Cor. 15:50-55).
Did you ever consider that the new "heavens and earth" we are promised in 2 Peter 3:13 and Revelation 21 is as real as the "heavens and earth" that God created in Genesis chapter one? As young people say, "Cool!"
"Beam me up, Lord!" (1 Thess. 4:17).
Alcorn, Randy. 2004. Heaven. Wheaton, ILL: Tyndale.
Missler, Chuck and Mark Eastman. 1997. Alien encounters. Coeur d'Alene, ID: Koinonia House.
Ross, Hugh. 1996. Beyond the cosmos. Colorado Springs, CO: NavPress.
Tipler, Frank J. 2007. The physics of Christianity. New York: Doubleday.
Thumbnail photo courtesy of: NASA website